Black fungus(mucormycosis) earlier known as zygomycosis is a rare fungal infection caused by Rhizopussp, Mucorsp, Rhizomucorsp. HIV/aids infected, diabetic, cancer, patients recovering from covid 19 are at a high risk of contracting this infection. Fungal spores are generally present in the air and when these spores enter the body of immunocompromised individuals they start replicating and cause infection. It affects the sinuses, the brain, and the lungs and the mortality rate is approx 54%. Steroids are one of the major causes of infection that’s why patients recovering from covid 19 are infecting at a higher rate because steroids are the major drugs used for covid 19 treatment.
Tips to prevent fungal infection
- Maintain nasal hygiene by using saline nasal spray.
- Do not use any kind of steroid inhaler.
- Try to maintain sugar level in normal range.
- Try to boost your immunity by consuming food rich in vit C.
- If there is black nasal discharge, nasal congestion, swelling around eyes and loss of vision. Then try to reach the doctor as early as possible.